Having traveled to hundreds of small business events over the past few years, I feel strongly that one of the largest unmet opportunities for small business owners is understanding how they can leverage Corporate Supplier programs…
Think your business is too small to do to get noticed by companies like Dell, Hilton or Amgen? Not true!
The majority of Fortune 500 companies have small business programs built around bringing the right businesses into their “supplier” programs!
Think you business doesn’t offer products that would be of interest to the “big” guys? Not true!
They are not just looking for “goods,” but almost always looking for companies that can offer services that range almost the entire spectrum of B-to-B transactions!
For example, here’s the list from Amgen’s website of goods and services that they contract out:
- Access, Reimbursement and Adverse Events
- Administrative Services – Outsourced or Contracted
- Calibration and Certification
- Central Labs Services
- Competitive Intelligence
- Construction Management
- Consultants – Information Services (Non-Software Development)
- Consultants – Other G&A
- Consultants – Software Development
- Contract Sales
- Customer Relationship Marketing
- Digital Creative
- Digital Media
- Direct Response Marketing
- Electronic Data Capture
- Facility Management
- Fleet Vehicles
- General Maintenance Supplies
- Glass Syringes/Vial Components
- GMP Containers & Tubing
- Government Payments
- Group Meetings
- IS – Hardware Maintenance
- IS – Network , Telephone , Video Conference Equipment
- IS – Server Equipment
- IS-Computer, Equipment, Supplies
- IS-Fixed Data & Voice Services
- IS-Outsourced Managed Services
- IS-Software License
- IS-Software Maintenance
- Lab Consumables/Lab Support Services
- Landscape and Snow Removal
- Legal-External Law Firm Services
- Legal-Litigation Support Expense
- Legal-Patent & Trademark
- Maintenance Services
- Management Consulting
- Marketing Fulfillment
- Med Comm
- Media Fees / Commissions
- Medical Training
- Medical Writing
- Non-Medical eLearning
- Non-Medical Training
- Office Supplies
- Operations Equipment
- Primary Research
- Printed Materials
- Public Relations
- R&D Contingent Workers/R&D Consultants
- Sales and Marketing Consulting
- Sales Incentives
- Sales Training
- Samples & Free Goods
- Secondary Packaging
- Site Management/Study Management
- Staff Services -Investigator Site Pricing & Payment
- Trade Show Booths and Services
- Traditional Creative
- Traditional Media
- Travel – Agency Services
- Wireless Equipment & Services
The list is obviously huge and I bet many small business owners could figure out out a way to fit into one of those categories!
But there’s more!
That’s ONLY Amgen’s list. Dell, Hilton, Walmart, Costco, Whole Foods, Autozone, government agencies, etc. all all have their own list of products and services that they contract out through small business supplier programs!
And even more!
In 2013, there were over $350B in eligible small business contracts through the US government alone…and yet the vast majority of that money went unspent because government contractors couldn’t find enough eligible small business owners!
Note: The unmet BILLIONS of eligible dollars from the graphic linked above is ONLY from government contracts and doesn’t include the billions of dollars from corporate supplier contracts reserved for small business owners remains unspent because eligible business owners are too hard to find!
In other words, for those “small” business owners who are willing to go through the work of qualifying for government/corporate supplier contracts, the opportunities can be HUGE!
If you weren’t already a believer, I’m hoping you can see there really may be an incredible opportunity to take your business to the next level through a Corporate and/or Government Supplier Program.
How do you get started?
My recommendation is to start by joining me on Wednesday, Oct 22 at 11am, when I host a conversation with Jinus Moghbeli, the Supplier Diversity Liaison Officer at Amgen. She’ll be explaining what it takes to get into Amgen’s supplier program and answer any questions you have about how to grow with Amgen!
Ready to get started? Register for our free 30 minute webinar now: Supplier Diversity at Amgen.
Just do it. Register now before you get too busy with the day-to-day tasks for your business!
Image credit: Quick Meme